Brand awareness, Community, Destination / Host City, Government, Legacy
- Showcase the city’s major event hosting capability to a global audience, and in turn secure the rights to other major sporting events.
- To position itself as China’s ‘Sailing City’, inspire China’s youth and grow participation in sailing.
- To promote the ‘blue’ maritime economy and Qingdao’s tourism offering to national and international visitors.
- Support China’s ‘belt and road initiative’, which aims to grow international communication, cooperation and develop trade links between the East and West.
- To test Qingdao’s Olympic facilities, logistics and procedures ahead of the 2008 Beijing Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Clipper Race was the first international sailing event to visit Qingdao, allowing
the city to test its new Olympic facilities, logistics and procedures ahead of
the 2008 Beijing Olympic and Paralympic Games.
80,000 people attended the Clipper Race start event in Qingdao.
The city now regularly hosts major sailing events, including:
- IFDS Qingdao International Regatta
- ISAF Sailing World Cup
- Extreme Sailing Series
- The Volvo Ocean Race
- The Qingdao International Boat Show
- Weta Trimaran Sailing in Qingdao
The Qingdao Clipper Race Ambassador programme
has to date enabled 41 Chinese nationals to take part in the Clipper Race,
including China’s first man and woman to circumnavigate the globe. Guo Chuan
went on to become China’s first professional sailor, while Song Kun (Vicky
Song) was voted by Forbes in 2015 as Asia’s Most Powerful Woman.
Qingdao’s media coverage during the Clipper 2015-16 Race has ensured that Qingdao firmly retains the title of China’s ‘Sailing City’ after it reached a unique global audience base of more than one billion people, through 4,356 news items; a PR value of £60,921,140.
Three TV documentaries, including one for Beijing TV, have followed Qingdao’s race campaigns, broadcasting the story into millions of homes.
To date, an estimated 4,000 school children have had the opportunity to climb aboard a Clipper Race yacht during Qingdao stopovers.
Sailing is now included in the school curriculum.
The Qingdao partnership has enabled other Clipper Race partners to build business relationships in China through international trade missions staged by countries like Great Britain and Nova Scotia, resulting in tripartite trade agreements and the signing of a memorandum of understanding to develop trade corridors.
The third generation of Clipper Race yachts were built in Qingdao.
- Chinese ambassadors operated cultural exchanges, business events and community focused engagement during Qingdao stopovers.
- The team of Chinese ambassadors carry Qingdao’s key messages
around the world and are exposed to extensive national and international
coverage, via print, online and broadcast media.
Coverage extends over 18 months, beginning at the initial crew selection process, and continuing right through to the end of the race.
- Qingdao uses its biennial Clipper Race stopover to promote its purpose built marine facilities to international and national audiences.
- The stopover successfully engages thousands of the city’s young residents, inspiring them to follow the Clipper Race and take up sailing.
- Engagement events include school visits, cultural exchanges, home visits, activity programmes, and yacht tours.
- Qingdao also used the race to build strong relationships, influence government and private sector guests and deepen relationships with trading partners and other Clipper Race sponsors during stopover events.
Qingdao has sponsored the Qingdao yacht entry for six consecutive Clipper Races, which has helped many Chinese sailing enthusiasts realise their ocean sailing dreams and cultivated many ocean sailing talents. The Qingdao yacht and her Chinese crew publicised the ‘Sailing City’ of Qingdao and Chinese traditional culture in all the host ports globally, which has strengthened the sport and culture exchanges, and friendship between Qingdao and the cities, regions and countries along the sailing route. In the future, we hope more people will join in the race to realise their sailing dreams, and be the Qingdao ambassadors to make Qingdao known to the world